Fiscal year 2019 Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL Grant Programs: Second term Closed
Arts Council Tokyo (ACT) and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government are carrying out various cultural programs ahead of Tokyo 2020 as Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL to bring excitement to this once in a life time event. As part of this effort, Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL Grant will provide support to variety of projects delivered by cultural/artistic organizations to enrich the Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL program line-up. The selected projects will be awarded maximum 20 million JPY and will be part of the official programs of Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL leading up to 2020.
One of the 4 categories “Overseas Artistic Creation in Tokyo” will provide support to projects in Tokyo that encourage creation of new art (including collaborative work) by artists residing abroad as well as overseas artists. This category intends to bring opportunities for the citizens of Tokyo to experience new and diverse works of art from around the world.
We aim to accelerate our support to projects which generate wide opportunities for the public to engage with the cultural programs and create legacies of arts and culture for future generations leading up to the year 2020 and beyond. We look forward to receiving many applications from across the globe.
Application forms are available in Japanese only. Please refer to the Japanese web page for further details on how to apply.
FY2019 Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL Grant: Second term
ACT will support organizations which deliver artistic/cultural activities that are grounded in the objectives of the cultural programs led by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government*.
*Objectives of the cultural programs led by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government
Offer the best cultural programs in history in accordance with the Olympic spirit and pass down cultural legacies beyond 2020 and to achieve Tokyo being the top cultural city in the world.
- Introduce Tokyo culture with originality and diversity including the coexistence of tradition and modernity to the world and proactively promote international artistic/cultural exchanges
- Generate opportunities for participation and exchanges among all people including the disabled, the elderly, children, and people from other countries
- Encourage artistic/cultural activities with new concepts and develop human resources for the next generation
- Generate a city-wide festive mood for arts and culture
- Unite effort through cooperation with the national government, other local authorities, artistic/cultural groups, and others
Submission Deadline: Saturday, August 31, 2019
■ Eligible Applicants
Applicants should be organizations based (have an address) in Japan. Overseas organizations are required to collaborate with local partners. Individuals are ineligible.
■ Eligible Art Forms and Disciplines
Music, play, dance, visual arts, photography, literature, media art (video, comic, animation, game, etc.), traditional arts, performing art, lifestyles and culture (tea ceremony, flower arrangement, calligraphy, food etc.), fashion, architecture, any other form of art/collaboration across these artforms and disciplines etc. Combined form of various artistic activities (such as festivals) are also accepted.
■ Grant Categories
The grants are divided into 4 categories. Applicants may choose multiple categories. Please note that projects may be selected as categories differing from which specified by the applicants.
- Symbolic Projects Setting the Flag of Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL: Topical and festive projects to build momentum leading up to 2020.
- Citizen-Led Cultural Activities: Grassroots, independent activities by the citizens of Tokyo.
- Overseas Artistic Creation in Tokyo: Projects in Tokyo by artist residing abroad that encourage creation of new art.
- Projects Offering Vision for the Future: Projects that shows creative ambition leveraging art and science.
Up to 20 million JPY
Up to 25% of the eligible project cost will be covered for the category “Symbolic Projects Setting the Flag of Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL” and up to 50% for the other categories.
■ Project Location
Tokyo Metropolitan Area
■ Project Period
Projects starting after November 1, 2019 and ending before September 6, 2020
■ How to apply
- Application documents
(1) Forms (Available in Japanese only: download here)
B) Income and expenditure budget
C) About your organization
(2) Above A) to C) electronic data in word & excel format (saved in a disk)
(3) Signed form undertaking that each party does not fall under any of the anti-social forces.
- Attachment Documents
(1) Documents about your organization
A) Governing document such as articles of incorporation, by law etc
B) If your organization is a corporate/company, most recent financial statement. If an unincorporated organization, the income and expenditure budget of the previous year.
(2) Documents about your project
A) Proposal (A4 size, free format, existing proposals are accepted) Please include the program outline, operational structure and communication plan.
B) Data of A) (saved in a disk/device etc.)
C) Any other supplementary information
Please kindly note that we accept application documents in Japanese ONLY.
You may refer to the English translation of the application here.
Please submit the above items by mail to the following address.
Olympic and Paralympic Cultural Strategy, Arts Council Tokyo
Kudan First Place 8F, 4-1-28, Kudankita, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0073
Please indicate “Tokyo Tokyo FESTIVAL Grant 2nd Term Application” on your envelope.
We could accept submission by mail only. Please use recorded mail.
■ Submission Deadline
Saturday, August 31, 2019 (as indicated by the postmark on the envelope)
■ Briefing Sessions (non-obligatory)
*Advance registration required.
Dates: (1)Thursday, July 11, 11:00 am-12:00 pm or (2)Tuesday, July 16, 4:00pm -5:00 pm
Place: Arts Council Tokyo
8F, Kudan First Place, 4-1-28 Kudan-Kita, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0073
■ For inquiries on this project
Olympic and Paralympic Cultural Strategy, Planning & Grants Division
Arts Council Tokyo (Tokyo Metropolitan Foundation for History and Culture)