This program will see young Asians who aspire to become filmmakers and producers gather in Tokyo for an event that aims to cultivate the hidden talents of those with the potential to become the great directors and producers of tomorrow, in order to enhance efforts to create and disseminate culture from Tokyo in the world of film. With professionals drawn from the ranks of directors, producers and world sales as instructors, it will provide the know-how required to achieve success on the global stage and opportunities to build international networks of connections.
Your application will be processed only if you meet all requirements. Please read carefully this page and the “Obligation of Talents Tokyo” before applying.
a) You have an East-Asian / Southeast-Asian nationality or are residing in this region.
b) You are fluent in the English language.
c) You have not previously participated in past editions of Talents Tokyo (formerly known as Talent Campus Tokyo or Next Masters Tokyo).
d) You are a director that have made maximum 1-2 feature films or an upcoming producer.
e) You are able to attend during the entire period of the Talents Tokyo.
* If you are selected as a participant, your provided data will be published on our website.
** The applications are for individuals. We cannot accept team applications.
The application consists of three parts.
Submit the following items (see below for further instructions):
– Online Application
– Sample of Work (short film or comprehensive report)
– Treatment including financial report
Part 1: Online application
1. Accept the regulations for participating in the Talents Tokyo. (Further and Legal Regulation below in section D)
2. Proceed to the online application form, which you must complete entirely in English.
* If you registered the “field of work” for your application profile as profession other than Director or Producer, please send us an email before applying.
Part 2: Submit a sample of work
2.1 For Directors: Upload ONE sample film
– the sample may be: a) short film made specifically for the Talents Tokyo application or b) an excerpt from some short or feature film which you have worked on previously.
– Running time may NOT exceed 15 min
– The sample must be in English or subtitled in English.
2.2 For Producers: comprehensive report
Submit a comprehensive report of the films you have produced so far.
Refer to the films’ production process: development, theatrical release, box office and/or participation in film festivals.
MAX Length: 5 pages, in single PDF file.
* For both directors and producers, you must have obtained consent of other copyright owners if you are to use their works for your sample requirement as stated in Terms and Conditions (see section D).
Part 3: Submit a treatment for the Project Presentation
During Talents Tokyo, participants must participate in the ‘Project Presentation’ program as an opportunity to learn how to present a project in development to industry professionals and make valuable contacts with possible cooperation partners and financiers. Additionally, the presented project is eligible for the Talents Tokyo Award. The eligible project must be a feature film in development (60 minutes or more in length) for theatrical release and suitable for an international co-production.
Upload a single 5 page PDF document with your treatment/synopsis of the project in English for the ‘Project Presentation Program’.
Participants will be selected at the sole discretion of the Talents Tokyo.
Applicants selected will be informed via e-mail by end of September 2023 at the latest. The list of selected participants will be published on our website by this date. You can also consult your selection status anytime by logging into your online profile.
There is no legal claim to participate in Talents Tokyo.
Assignments after Selection:
Participants of Talents Tokyo will be obliged to send in assignments as below (due dates tba):
– an one page bio with photos
– 3 min video of your sample works
– one page outline of your project
– first draft of the script
– presentation materials
About participant’s film material or sample of work
1. The participant hereby agrees that his/her photograph and data may be published on the Talents Tokyo website and magazine as provided in the ‘Presentation’ area of the online application form. (This can be customized by the participant at any time by logging into his/her profile.)
2. The participant agrees that his/her sample of work submitted to the Talents Tokyo may be shown publicly at Talents Tokyo, and streamed on Talents Tokyo website or related organizations and/or sponsors of Talents Tokyo.
3. The participant agrees that the aforementioned use of his/her work may also include podcasting. This means that his/her work can be accessed and that he/she can access the works of other talents vice-versa.
4. The participant agrees that his/her submitted sample of work, may be published by Talents Tokyo in full length or as an excerpt in print or television or any other multimedia format for promotional purposes of Talents Tokyo.
5. The participant declares that he/she owns the copyright for the sample of work submitted, according to the relevant national and international regulations. This includes music and sound effects included in sample of work. He/she guarantees that no rights of third parties are violated by the material used in the film or other sample of work submitted. The participant unconditionally and irrevocably declares his/her copyright responsibility towards third parties in case of disputes over copyright violations. In this respect, the participant exempts Talents Tokyo from all claims by third parties.
6. The applicant agrees that his/her work can be presented to parties who are interested in the commercial exploitation of the short film or the work sample submitted. Talents Tokyo will not negotiate any commercial exploitation of the submitted works without a written agreement from the copyright holder.
May 1, 12:00 to 31, 23:59, 2023 Japan time
Talents Tokyo respects each person’s right to privacy. We do not buy or distribute personal information or your samples of work for commercial purposes. Your application data and your sample of work will be treated confidentially. Data are saved on the server of Berlinale Talents. Only staffs of Talents Tokyo Organizing Committee and Berlinale Talents has access to your application data. If you are selected to participate in Talents Tokyo, your profile data and your submitted sample of work, will be used as stated above (D 2-5).
In particular, it may be displayed in a database at Talents Tokyo and on our website or related areas. The purpose is to improve communication between participants, experts and visitors. The purpose of this website is to encourage participants of Talents Tokyo and Talents International programs from all areas of film and to inform the public at large about Talents Tokyo. We appreciate our visitors, their comments, and their suggestions.
For the avoidance of doubt, this agreement is governed and construed in accordance with the laws of the Japan. In the event of any dispute arising out of or in connection with this agreement, exclusive place of venue shall be Tokyo.
As Talents Tokyo is a publicly funded program, the program asks for several obligations from its participants.
Please make sure to read such obligations carefully before applying.
By submitting the application form, you have read, understood and agreed to all obligations.
Invitation, Travel and Accommodation expenses:
Successful applicants will be invited to Tokyo, Japan to participate in Talents Tokyo (if all condition allows).
ALL PARTICIPANTS will be required to stay at a hotel stipulated by the organizers.
a) For participants from outside Japan, organizers will cover the following costs:
-One round-trip economy class air ticket from a major city in the participant’s country of residence. (As part of public fund, this air-ticket may not be changed or cancelled once confirmed)
-Accommodation for 7 nights from Nov. 19 to 26.
-Per diem (tax included).
b) For participants from Japan, organizers will cover the following cost:
-One round-trip travel expense from a major city in the participant’s city of residence.
-Accommodation for 7 nights from Nov. 19 to 26.
-Per diem (tax included).
The accreditation allows you to participate in all events of Talents Tokyo.
Registered participants of the Talents Tokyo 2023 you are also automatically accredited to TOKYO FILMeX 2023 taking place on November 2023 (https://filmex.jp/), and are eligible to be provided with a limited amount of tickets for screenings, subject to availability. However, participants must prioritize participating in the Talents Tokyo program before attending events of TOKYO FILMeX.
After participating in Talents Tokyo, alumni will automatically become part of the worldwide Talents community online and will be able to easily connect to international alumni that participated in previous editions of the Talents International programs in Berlin, Guadalajara, Buenos Aires, Durban, Sarajevo, Beirut, and Rio.
The Talents Tokyo offers, free of charge, a comprehensive program and many privileges to all participants. Your presence as a Talent is a mark of distinction and a recommendation for film professionals throughout the world. In return, we expect your cooperation and daily attendance at the program. If in the case that Talents Tokyo 2023 should be held online, all participants will be required to attend online for ALL SESSIONS of the Talents Tokyo (planned to be 8-10 hrs per day from noon JST) with a stable internet connection. Talents Tokyo reserves the right to remove participants who abuse their accreditation by being repeatedly absent and or making false statements, from our website and program.
Talents Tokyo reserves the right to remove participants who abuse their accreditation by repeatedly missing the deadline or by not handing in assignments, from our website and program.
Talents Tokyo Organizing Committee