Through this program, educators can take groups of students to the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum or the University Art Museum, Tokyo University of the Arts on open weekdays for unique class experiences. With museum curators and university instructors assisting with everything from educational materials and other class preparation to class activities, the program provides tailor-made museum experiences that showcase different highlights on the exhibition schedule.
*Interested parties should consult with program organizers about scheduling visits to coincide with specific exhibitions. Due to crowding concerns, visits may only be scheduled on weekdays.
(1) Special exhibition commemorating 130th anniversary of the founding of Tokyo University of the Arts The Pandora’s Box: Finding the Wondrous in the Geidai Collection (The University Art Museum, Tokyo University of the Arts)
First period: Tuesday, July 11 – Sunday, August 6 2017 / Second period: Friday, August 11 – Sunday, September 10 2017
(2) Great Collectors: Masterpieces from the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (Special Exhibition, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum)
Thursday, July 20 – Monday, October 9 2017
(3) Hiroshi Sugito module or lacuna (Thematic Exhibition, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum)
Tuesday, July 25 – Monday, October 9 2017
(4) Van Gogh and Japan (Special Exhibition, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum)
Tuesday, October 24 2017 – Monday, January 8 2018
(5) Ueno Artist Project: “Contemporary Realism—Transcending the Photograph and Video” (Thematic Exhibition, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum)
Friday, November 17 2017 – Saturday, January 6 2018
(6) Brueghel: 150 Years of an Artistic Dynasty (Special Exhibition, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum)
Tuesday, January 23 – Sunday, April 1 2018
(7) Tokyo University of the Arts Graduation Works Exhibitions (Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum/The University Art Museum, Tokyo University of the Arts)
Sunday, January 28 – Saturday, February 3 2018
Elementary, junior, and high schools
– 2–3 schools per month
– Individual clubs and classes may also apply
* This program does not offer bus shuttle services.
Please see the official website for further details about reservation.
*To be decided by lottery if oversubscribed
By the last day of the month, three months before the month in which you wish the class to take place
*If spaces are available after the deadline, applications to participate will be accepted on a first come, first served basis until a month prior to the class.
Museum Start “i-Ueno” Operating Team (Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum & Tokyo University of the Arts)
TEL: 03-3823-6921 (Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum office)