Grant for Artistic City aims to support variety of artistic/creative projects and their bearers that contribute to the enhancement of Tokyo’s attractiveness as a city, with the aim of realizing a world-class city of arts and culture through public-private partnerships.
To this end, the grant covers part of the costs of creative activities such as festivals and art projects of various genres that are jointly created by multiple organizations and participants in Tokyo as well as innovative and sustainable projects that could communicate the attractiveness of the city of Tokyo.
■ Eligible Applicants
Applicants should be organizations based (have an address) in Japan. Overseas organizations are required to collaborate with local partners. Individuals are ineligible.
■ Eligible Art Forms and Disciplines
Music, play, dance, visual arts, photography, literature, media arts (film, video, comic, animation, game, etc.), traditional arts, performing arts, lifestyles and culture (tea ceremony, flower arrangement, calligraphy etc.), fashion, architecture, any other form of arts/collaboration across these artforms and disciplines etc. Combined form of various artistic activities (such as festivals) are also accepted.
■ Eligible Project Period
Projects beginning on or after Dec 16, 2023 and ending on or before Dec 15, 2024
■ Project Location
Tokyo Metropolitan Area (including online)
■ Eligible subjects/themes
Arts and cultural projects that fall under one of the following themes, that are open to the public, that involve multiple organizations or artists.
[Inclusion and sustainability]
- Activities that are open to all generations, nationalities, and disabilities, including those raising children, the elderly, and caregivers. Projects that have a special approach or programs to enhance participation.
- The programs that challenge new possibilities of arts by addressing various social issues, such as environmental problems, through arts and culture.
- Not a mere one-off event, but a project that contributes to the sustainability of arts and cultural activities.
[Science & arts]
- Projects that pursue and explore new ideas and expressions that fuse digital technology and science with arts and culture
- Projects that have the potential to lead the development and proposal of new technologies.
[Arts and culture that promote Tokyo’s attractiveness](including large-scale regional projects)
- Other than the above, projects that have the potential to mobilize people and attract attention that will contribute to the attractiveness of the city of Tokyo, such as high-quality live entertainment.
- Innovative programs that pursue new ideas and expressions.
- Large-scale projects that aim to create local attractions and revitalize the region by making use of various local cultural resources that are rooted in the region.
Support is provided to projects involving more than one organization or artist and up to 50% of the eligible project cost will be covered, with a maximum amount of JPY 20 million.
In addition, separate support is provided for diversity-related and digital-related costs as “project support costs”.
A: Accessibility Support Costs (up to a maximum of JPY 2 million)
B: Digital Development Support Costs (up to a maximum of JPY 3 million)
C: Creative Environment Support Costs (up to a maximum of JPY 200,000)
When applying, please choose whether you would like to receive project support costs for A or B.
Please note that you cannot apply for both A and B at the same time. You can apply for C at the same time, even if you apply for either A or B.
In addition, application will be reviewed among the projects which have applied for the project support costs. Even if your application is not selected for the project support costs, it may be selected without (regular grant only). If you wish to apply for support costs, please make sure to submit the relevant expenses in the designated budget sheet (Excel).
■ Application Process
Applications must be submitted via online grant application system in Japanese only.
Please create your organization’s account on the online system, fill in the required fields, and upload the necessary documents to submit your application. Please download some of the designated forms from the online grant application system after registering your organization’s account.
■ Application period
Friday,August 25, 14:00 – Friday, September 29, 14:00
■ For inquiries on this project
Arts Council Tokyo (Tokyo Metropolitan Foundation for History and Culture)
Support Program Design
TEL: 03-6256-8433 (Weekday 10:00 – 18:00)